Saturday, July 31, 2010

You’re Fat – So Whatcha Gonna Do About It?

Before you start crying and raising the fur on the back of your neck, let me say this…..YOU ARE FAT.

Piss you off? Good—because you and me and a lot of other Americans are fat. I’ve finally come to believe this after spending the last two weeks keeping track of what I’m eating on a daily basis. I’ve brushed off this notion, probably just like you too.

“I’m not fat. Ok, maybe a little bit. But I’m not as fat as that guy.”

We find ways to justify our horribly unhealthy diet.

“Well, I’ll get a Diet Coke with my Whopper (with cheese) and large French fry.”

You’re fat, I’m fat, almost everyone is fat. Don’t believe me? Record what you eat on a daily basis. I dare you. You might not be happy with what you discover. For example, here’s an average day for me when I used to work in sales and “didn’t have time" for breakfast at home or want to take a lunch to work.

BREAKFAST


LUNCH


SNACK


DINNER

SNACK (2)

TOTAL 4134 CAL

Maybe this is close to your daily consumption, maybe it’s not. The point is look at how many calories I would consume during the day—4134!!! And that’s probably a conservative take on my daily calorie consumption. On top of that, include a extremely inactive lifestyle and it’s easy to see why I am fat. Is it the fast food industries fault I’m fat? Nope. I’m the reason I’m fat. By not taking the time to care about the fuel I put into my body, I have created a body that is well on its way to a heart attack, diabetes and numerous future health problems.

“Well, I’m happy with who I am and I don’t mind if I’m overweight.”

SHUT UP!!! SHUT THE FRICK UP YOU PIG!!!

That is one of the biggest bull-crap lies you can tell yourself. Are you really happy? Wouldn’t you like to walk up just one flight of stairs without breathing hard? Do you enjoy squeezing in the movie theater seats while you overflow into the next one? How much fun is it to have people smirk and chuckle at your lard ass? Stop settling for this. You are better than that. How do I know? Because I’m better than that.

I’ve been slowly gaining weight over the last 16 years—hmmm, same amount of time since I’ve been out of high school. I weighed about 170-80 lbs after I graduated. I now weigh 271 lbs. At my biggest, I tipped the scales at 292 lbs. That is ridiculous, especially for the father of five and the husband to a beautiful woman who birthed those children (BTW, she has basically maintain herself even after having five kids). Me, I needed to change.

The doctor told me two years ago I had a fatty liver. I didn’t know what that was. Turns out it can be a very dangerous thing. Your liver is extremely resilient, but even your liver can only take so much abuse until it gives up the ghost. “Well”, I thought to myself, “

I’m 32 years old, I’m smarter than the doctor. I’ll just eat healthier and whatever.” Then earlier this year I noticed a pain in my side. After doing some research and talking with a friend of mine I realized I was having problems with my gall bladder. The liver never gave me a sign it was in distress, the gall bladder left me with a constant pain.

Not having insurance (I had just switched jobs), I couldn’t go see a doctor. I had to solve this problem. I had to change my eating habits. That’s when I decided to use the power of technology to help me take back my life—and yes, there is an app for that.

My average daily consumption of calories should be between 2200 and 3000 calories per day. That's a big range. But look a little closer. With my horribly inactive lifestyle I should have been consuming no more than 2200 per day. Remember that number above? 4134. I was almost consuming twice as many calories per day then I should have and not exercising. Now that's a great recipe for changing my legal name to Fatty McGee.

How about you? Are you consuming the right amount of calories per day based on your activity? Chances are you are not. And what about my beer drinking friends? A yeah, those brews are truly adding to your beer gut. A macro brew like Budweiser--143 cal in a 12 oz can. Seriously, who just drinks one can? I digress.

"But counting calories is pointless. I watch my fat intake and carb consumption."

Yeah, well how has that been working for you? I've tried that too.

"Well, I've used a national weight loss program to watch what I eat."

Again, how's that been working for you? Throwing money away every month because some rich celebrity endorses the product. Really? Don't be dumb with your money. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to lose weight, and keep it off is permanently changing your lifestyle.

For me that comes in the form of recording what I eat and counting my calories. Want proof? Head over to my weight loss blog Losing The Past and see how far I've come in the last two weeks. Not only am I keeping my net calorie intake under 2200, but I'm also exercising every other day. I jog, but I've also realized that an hour of walking can burn so many calories too! I want to run a 5k within the next six months--that's why I jog. But you can walk an hour every other day or thirty minutes every day.

Get your calorie intake in check and exercise. That's the secret. Simple. Yet, you struggle to do it. Why? Stop making excuses and decide you're tired of being fat and unhealthy. Look in the mirror--are you really happy with what you see? Now do it naked. Yeah, it's pretty scary how fat we've become. But we are still young enough to make that change.

I began this post calling you fat. You are fat. But you don't have to be. The choice is yours. Aren't you worth it? Don't your kids deserve to have you around to celebrate first dates, graduations, weddings, grandchildren and life? You're damn right they are and so are you. Make the change today, fatty. ;-)

No comments: