Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Facebook - This is How You Should View My Life

It's been 7 days since I last posted a status update on facebook. I have to admit I have sneaked a peak on there at least once a day. I've even posted a link to two of my blog postings on there. I am amazed (and I don't know why) that I only received one "thumbs up" for my post about my daughters. One.

For the life of me I don't know why this effected me so much. You see, for the last two years I've been on facebook daily. Multiple times. I've been the funny guy, and the serious guy. I've been the cheerleader and the bitcher. I've been the religious man and the wild man. But most of all I felt like I was part of the group.

This past week opened my eyes to what facebook really is...a forum for how we wish others view our lives.

Again, I am not bashing facebook. I think it's pretty obvious it has changed our lives, some for the good and others for the not-so-good. My point is this: in order to coexist with facebook and others in your "network", don't take yourself so seriously.

You are not as important as you think you are. Yet, you are very important to quite a few people. Some people get an extra hop in their step when you brighten their day with a funny or encouraging post. Did you post something because of your ego? Or did you post something to make someone's day? Only you can answer that.

But remember just like Spider-Man, "with great power comes great responsibility".

You also need to realize that not everyone cares if you "can't wait to get your drink on" or you "just ate the world's greatest piece of cake" or your kid "just crapped their pants for the first time". And that's OK too. Just don't become so wrapped up in your life to think it's more important than everyone else's.

The last time I took a break from facebook it was out of anger. This time it was out of the depths of my sanity. I will come away from this exercise a little more centered about what really matters to me in my life and what is just entertainment.

No comments: