Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blessings When I Stay on God's Path

You’re blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
~ Psalm 119:1, The Message

Whenever I go through a stretch where it seems like God’s outpouring of love is abundant, I typically notice that I’m doing what God calls me to do. Pray, donate clothes or money to those in need, going to church, keeping my focus on Him and not me—these are the times when I feel like I’m doing God’s work and He’s walking beside me.

However, I am a sinner.

I will once and a while dance next to the line of sin thinking “I’m filled with the Holy Spirit, there’s no way I’ll stumble.” It’s usually at this point that I picture God doing a *facepalm*.

You see, I allow myself to get off course. I will then find my walk to be shaky and at times down right depressing. Who’s to blame? Certainly it isn’t God…He’s still on the path. And that’s where God’s mercy is best put on display. God is still on the path, with His arms outstretched calling me back. What a beautiful image of the Lord calling His child back to Him.

There’s a prayer I usually pray to God daily. It’s a simple prayer because, well…..I’m a simple man. “God, please don’t give up on me.” Thank God He never will.

No comments: