Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Just a Sinner Trying to Live God's Calling

For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time - to show us his grace through Christ Jesus.

~ 2 Timothy 1:9, NLT

One of the hardest things I find in my Christian walk to do is live a holy life. I'm not sure if it's because I'm stubborn, lazy or ignorant. I imagine it's a combination of all three. Amazingly enough, I don't have to be perfect—besides the fact I literally can't be. Because of God's grace, I am saved. Because of what his son did on the cross, I can receive eternal salvation.

Our family is reading through the bible in chronological order. Needless to say Leviticus and Numbers almost caused us to stick our heads into a furnace to offer up our sanity. However, one thing I came away from those books of the bible was all the rituals and sacrifices that God required of the Jews to remain or become clean again. It's no wonder St. Paul points out in Acts that we were predestined to fail with so many rules.

I could not begin to image how many sheep and goats I would need
around the house to cleanse me of all of my unrighteousness. That's
where Christ's work on the cross by shedding his blood washed away the
old law. Through Christ we have a direct connection to God to ask for
cleansing and forgiveness. Thank God he loves me enough to not give me
what I truly deserve.

Lord, I'm a sinner. Please don't give up on me. It's by your grace I
am saved and by no work of my own doing. I am called to live a holy
life. I will struggle and occasionally fail. I'm thankful you love me
enough to see me as a work in progress, and not as a lost cause. Amen.

No comments: