Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Brain is a Special Place...HEY Look, a Squirrel!

Those who hear and don't act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like.
~ James 1:23-4

I find as I get older I’m slowly starting to forget things. I’ll walk into a room and two seconds later have no idea why I went there in the first place! If I’m writing a term paper for school I’ll get stuck on words like “would” or “wood” or drift off into Never-never Land when I am reading something and forget what I just read one page earlier.

Getting old sucks. But it doesn’t have to. One area of my life that I am continually trying to exercise is my “remembering gene”…and it’s not easy. With so much going on in the world today it is easy to input information, be intrigued and then do a data dump not long after. Think about it. How many people can remember what their kid said to them this morning before they went off to school? Unless it was some “flashy” information, I’m sure they forgot it as the kid walked out the door. It’s understandable.

Information overload can drown out almost any message. If I allow that to happen, I will miss what God has to say to me about my life.

Yet, the most important aspect in my life is not only to hear God’s message, but to live it. The problem is I am that person at Sunday morning mass who looks in the mirror, walks away and two minutes later forgets what they look like. I remember going to a different parish four weeks ago. A visiting priest gave the homily and I was moved by the message. I distinctly remember telling my inner dumb-dumb, “This is good stuff! Don’t forget what he’s saying!!”

Yep. I have already forgotten it.

The point here isn’t so much to have a steel trap mind, but to LIVE God’s message. I may have forgotten the particulars of the priest’s words, but I am actively trying to live out the spirit of the message. Heck, I’m almost 99% sure that’s why I’m writing these blog posts for Lent…God’s message was to step out of my comfort zone and make a sacrifice to show how thankful I am for what Jesus did on the cross for me.

My challenge is this, for however many more years God blesses me to live on this planet I must absorb God’s message and live it daily. For it is this that will help me to remember that the man I see in the mirror is a sinner who is saved by the grace of God. A man who is loved by his Father.

No comments: