Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Heart's Cry Revealed My Real Prayer Need

Lord, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them.
~ Psalm 10:17, NLT

There have been times in my life when I have been blind to the work that God has done in my life. Either through my heart cries or by actual prayers, God has been faithful when I have not always been. I can think about a time I had my prayers answered. It wasn’t until time had passed that I realized it was my heart’s prayer that was answered.

Last year I was working at a job that I did not like anymore. From past mistakes I had made and eventual distrust by myself of upper management, I hated my job. Hate is a strong word, but I really did hate my job. I needed to make a change. God heard my heart cry even though I didn’t trust he would answer my prayers. I sinned at work. I was lazy. Although I was in sales, I stole company time by not working as hard as I could. These are difficult things to write even today even though I have confessed them six months ago to God.

That faithlessness in God’s plan lead me to a job I hated even more than the one I would eventually leave. With my attitude and continued lack of trust of upper management, that job lasted only four months before I was fired. This was humbling and a blessing at the same time. For it was at this moment that I realized I needed God. If I was going to continue in this life, I needed God’s strength to move headlong in anything I would do from that point forward.

God knew I was helpless; more importantly I finally accepted I was helpless.

The next six months would change my life forever. I began jogging on a consistent basis. I had allowed my health to deteriorate to the point I was the heaviest of my life and I was beginning to experience the ails of being overweight. I was killing myself. Over that stretch of time I lost 25 lbs.; a feat that I could not have done without God’s strength.

More importantly, I came to know Christ on a whole new level. I fell to my knees and spilled my guts to a priest during the sacrament of reconciliation. I found some new outlets to learn more about the Catholic Church and the faith I would grow to hold tighter. Different men of God like Mark Hart and Lino Rulli showed me it was ok to be proud to be a Catholic and through these men I came to embrace the Church more than I had ever before. I can honestly say that this change in me over the last nine months is due to God’s providence. He absolutely heard my heart’s cry; it wasn’t about a job or my career, it was my relationship with Jesus Christ. God answered my prayers and I am now comforted.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Your health is going to continue to improve with hard work and faith! Keep at it and have faith that it will pay off. 5lbs in the first week is amazing! Keep up the great work my friend.

I read this and thought of you:

Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship character.
T. Alan Armstrong