Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Private Witness May Be More Important Than My Public


When a man walks in integrity and justice, 
happy are his children after him!
~ Proverbs 20:7, NAB

I love the book of Proverbs. It seems as though you can find any life-giving piece of advice in there. Through my struggles with my faith over the last couple of years, my kids have been watching me. How I have been working through it and relying on God’s mercy for help will either imprint a positive or negative image on their minds.

Though we focus on our public witness to others, there is nothing stronger than the witness you display for our kids.

In those moments where I want to do what’s best for me, it’s important to realize that there is much more involved in a rash or carefully thought out decision. Can my kids be proud of me for doing the right thing? Would they remember how I dealt with an issue? Could I expect them to make right choices?

With my private witness, I must prepare my children to be God-fearing, productive members of society—people who will choose the narrow road, not because it’s easy, but because it’s the right thing to do. If I rely on God for guidance and support, I will have done my part to prepare my kids for a righteous future.

No comments: