Saturday, March 26, 2011

When God Plants a Seed, I Have to Have Patience

Light-seeds are planted in the souls of God's people, Joy-seeds are planted in good heart-soil.
~ Psalm 97:11


One of the coolest things I've ever seen is the beginnings of a lawn. When we lived in Port Orchard 10 years ago, we got the keys to our brand new house. A house that we helped build--invested our blood, sweat and tears into that house. Yet, with a new house came no grass.

Part of the deal was we laid out the topsoil over some pretty rocky soil. This was included in the final price along with the initial spraying of seed and fertilizer on top of the newly spread out soil. After the first day we had no grass. I know, grass doesn't grow after the first day but here we were with a "green" front yard but no grass.

Over the next week we started to see the beginnings of little blades of grass. Again, I needed a magnifying glass but the grass was there! By the third week we had a full fledged lawn daycare--little baby blades of grass. But then doubt set in.

The grass seemed to hit a plateau. Was it not getting enough water? Did it need more fertilizer? Where the dang birds eating up the seedlings? I was concerned for the grass and thought it would never grow. But it did. It grew into one of the nicest lawns in our neighborhood.

You see, when it comes to joy in the Lord it takes time. In my experiences I have been "filled" with the Holy Spirit only to realize the seed was planted, but I didn't have the patience to nurture and let that faith grow. My heart was not good soil and I quickly would stray away. It wasn't until my life topsoil was almost completely
sucked dry of nutrients before God showed me how to tend to and nurture those joy-seeds.

I may have my days where I struggled to tend my joy garden. But God has shown me to have patience, feed my soul with His goodness and allow the Holy Spirit to continue to grow my faith. There will be a day when my joy seeds will become one of the nicest faith gardens ever.

No comments: