Sunday, March 20, 2011

With Faith and Love Firmly Rooted, Jesus Freaks Have Blossomed

So keep at your work, this faith and love rooted in Christ, exactly as I set it out for you. It's as sound as the day you first heard it from me.
~ 1 Timothy 1:13, The Message


Too many times before I have been on fire for God only to have something trivial trip up my walk and I foolishly fall away. 

People I meet today probably have no idea that I was a youth group leader in my church years ago. We were the Jesus Freaks without a doubt. We worshipped loudly. We proclaimed boldly. We loved each other. It still warms my heart to know the small seeds I've planted in God's kingdom have blossomed into lovers of Christ. A few of these seeds have gone off to flourish 10x more in their faith than I have.

Two years after I became part of the youth group, I left to pursue the false promises of this world. I disguised them up as "God focused" endeavors but they were really Rory focused failures. Instead of keeping at God's work I chased after money and status. 

My roots had deteriorated to the point that life storms came and easily blew me over. It wasn't until last year that the Lord picked me up at my lowest point and began anew to repair my faith and fertilize my hope in Christ's promise of salvation...and love.

To see how far my seeds have come since those early youth group days fills my heart with joy. These wonderful people of God have taken heed to 1 Timothy 1:13 and know that the seeds they are now planting will produce a new generation of Jesus Freaks and I have no doubt they'll be firmly grounded in the love of Christ.



1 comment:

amber jones said...

AWESOME! God used you Rory and He continues to use you...Stand Strong in the love & hope in Christ!