Sunday, April 3, 2011

God Has Given Me Everything I Need to Live a Godly Life

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.
~ 2 Peter 1:3, NLT

The other day my son shared with me a piece of wisdom that I thought was profound. He said to me, “Dad, did you know that everything we need to make an iPhone is here on this planet.” Granted, this wasn’t some “blow scholars out of the water” kind of thinking, but it was quite an interesting thought nonetheless. Everything man needs to make things is already on this planet.

The same is true for living a godly life.

You see, God has given us everything we need to live a godly life. Through the bible and tradition and stories from great men and women from long ago, everything we need has been given to us. Yet, sometimes I think we miss the mark. We try to over think God. In some arenas of knowledge, humanity tries to out think God.

A godly life is one which shows love for other people. This is not to be confused with acceptance for their lifestyles—no matter what the lifestyle is; if it’s against God’s teaching it is unacceptable. A godly life will love everyone, even those who sin against us. This is not easy. This is why I struggle every day. This is why I am not godly. Yet, by the grace of the Lord I am given a chance every day to grow closer and closer to godliness.

I will not achieve this in my lifetime. But I am called to live the life. I need to empty myself on a daily basis and allow God to fill my cup with his goodness and understanding of what it takes to live a godly life.

No comments: