Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rumor Weeds and Firefighters in the Same Blog

Without wood, a fire goes out; without gossip, quarreling stops.
~ Proverbs 26:20, GNT

One thing I have a bad habit of doing is fueling the fires of gossip.
I Wish I could say I've improved, but I suspect I still have a long
ways to go. This is one area of my life that I pray that will change.

Gossip is interesting; sometimes harmless, but almost always none of
my business. Gossip feels like twitter in a way. I feel like I have to
share the latest information with everyone in ear shot. But, gossip
should have no place in my life.

I think about an episode of Veggie Tales with the Rumor Weed. It
starts off as a small weed but with the town's gossip it grows into
this huge out-of-control monster weed. It isn't until the truth is
spread that the weed shrinks and eventually goes away.

God asks me to not even allow the weed to have a chance to grow. The
weed is also more than what we think gossip is—gossip can also be
truth. Just because it is a fact that the boss came to work drunk
doesn't mean we are to share this information with everyone.

God calls me to a higher standard, and that standard is to not add
fuel to gossip fires. I am to be a firefighter and stop gossip before
it spreads. This is easier written than done, but with God's grace I
can do it.

No comments: