Tuesday, April 19, 2011

To Be a Christian I Must Serve Others

For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.
~ Matthew 20:28, NLT

We talked about this very idea tonight with the kids. How much more are we called to serve others when the savior of the world came to serve us? For many, including myself, this is not an easy concept to understand. Too many times in our society the label “Christian” is seen as a crazy lunatic or well off person making money off the weak.

We need to drop this facade that Christians are better than anyone else. Christ took the lowliest position at the last supper and washed the feet of his disciples. This job was reserved for those lower than slaves. By demonstrating to the twelve his servitude, we all learn from Christ we are to have servant hearts for others.

Thursday night mass we will take part in the foot washing ceremony. This is a very profound and moving act of oneself. I know I feel like proud to wash the feet of my family—to make myself the least of them to serve their needs. I encourage others to partake in this wonderful Holy Thursday ceremony before we head into Good Friday.

1 comment:

SugarFemme23 said...

I very much believe in this concept. Even for those that aren't Christian. Mecca and I plan to Raise our kids with this mind set. I really think that teaching children that they have a very blessed life and that they can help others who have fewer blessings is a really positive thing and that it helps to keep you from having selfish children.